Wednesday, December 16, 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished


Here are the facts:
  • I wrote a book titled Betrayed.

  • I dedicated it to a young man, Austin Whetsell, who drowned while on a church mission trip.

  • I decided to dedicate 100 percent of the proceeds of book sales to Austin's memorial fund

  • Austin's father is close friends with Katon Dawson, the former S.C. GOP chair and runner up for the national post

  • I asked Katon, who I assumed had a large email list, to send out an email on my behalf in order to generate sales.

  • He did.
It rubbed some Republicans the wrong way, to say the least. It's almost like they're eating their own young. I'll let you read the posting at www.fitsnews.com/2009/12/11/dawson-email-irks-some-republicans/. But here's a sample: "Using someone else's personal tragedy for self promotion should be illegal."

As you read through, you may notice that some in the party of accountability and transparency (that's said tongue-in-cheek BTW since none of the Republicans quoted as being upset identify themselves) are more "irked" that Katon sent them an email versus the email''s content. I suppose it's much too difficult in this crazy, fast-paced world to scroll down to the link that says "Unsubscribe."

No, no. It's more democratic to let the voice of dissent be heard.
I have felt bad for Katon all week. He did me a huge favor for nothing more than the asking. To have petty little wimps who decline to identify themselves air their infighting in a public forum is simply pathetic.

My name, dammit, is Sam Morton. I have a book to sell. I'm right proud of it. Any money I raise goes directly to the Austin Whetsell Memorial Fund at Lexington Presbyterian Church in Lexington, S.C. The fund uses the money to continue and support its mission work around the globe. I really hope you buy it, but if the simple act of asking you offends, then for the sake of my friends, QUIETLY pass it on by.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam! Sorry you're having to deal with all the tripe. Never underestimate the pettiness of those connected to politics. Many have forgotten the Politician's Prayer: Lord, don't let the toes I step on today be connected to the ass I may have to kiss tomorrow.

    Hope all is well.
    Rick, Rosemary, Jaylin and Aaron

    ReplyDelete