Monday, March 2, 2009

Postpartum Book Festival Blues


We just finished a run at the South Carolina Book Festival. As usual, despite the weather, it was a great event. We sold well. Everyone seemed to have a good time.

Now, maybe it’s just me; maybe I’m just tired. I know we’re supposed to have our game faces on. We smile. We compliment the lady on her beautiful necklace just to engage her in conversation to hopefully make a sale. We ask the gentleman, “How did Carolina do in the game last night? Did Zam score plenty?” for the same purpose.

Here’s my quandary. I sometimes ask, as many of my fellow authors do, “What do you like to read?” (hoping, of course, they will say “Police thrillers,” so I can sell them my book!).

Then there’s the kicker: “Oh, I don’t like to read,” or the curt alternative, “I don’t read books.”

Say what? Then why are you at a BOOK FESTIVAL????!!!

Jackass.

Do philatelists hoping to add to their stamp collections root around football stadiums filled with half-drunk, rowdy, popcorn-and-Coke-laden, jersey-wearing fans? Do sci-fi enthusiasts head over to the Kenny Chesnee concert dressed like Darth Vader hoping to meet some blue-skinned chick with horns coming out of her head?

Hell no. They don’t go to these places. So why, then, are you in a room filled with books and authors if you don’t like to read? Isn’t that like watching Telemundo and not speaking a word of Spanish?

It’s not just South Carolina with our lack of interest for anything that doesn’t involve a gun, liquor, or a four-wheel drive vehicle. We get that response in Chicago and Los Angeles, too.

I got a tip for you. Why don’t y’all start your own “I Don’t Like Books Festival?” You can gather in a room full of empty booths and sit around not reading a damn thing to each other. You’d LOVE an event like this.

Maybe it’s just me…maybe I’m tired. I’m going to take a nap!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sam. Other than that, how was the festival? :)

    Bobbie Hinman
    http://bobbiehinman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, Sam, you have got to stop internalizing so much - it's not good for your health. LOL.

    So what sold? Any hints on what subjects are hot commodities?

    Dani
    http://bloodredpencil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't have one handy, did you? One of those blades from the Frito Lay potato cutting machine. Phew...

    Of course, could have made great material for your next police thriller!

    Diana
    http://basicblackblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, you didn't mention my daughter either! Happy napping,
    Regan
    http://www.regansrealm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They absorb the words through the pores of their skin. Or they would, if they got closer to the table than five feet away.

    ReplyDelete